Saturday, April 7, 2012

An Interview with Author Jan Romes on "Kiss Me" April 8 - 13

Congratulations Sheree for winning a copy of Kiss Me!

 Deanna and I welcome Author Jan Romes this week. Jan is here to chat about her new release "Kiss Me". First a little bit about Jan so you can get to know the author behind the books.

Jan Romes grew up in northwest Ohio with eight zany siblings. Married to her high school sweetheart for more years than seems possible, she is also a proud mom, mother-in-law, and grandmother. She likes to read all genres, writes witty contemporary romance, is a part-time fitness trainer, and enjoys growing pumpkins and sunflowers.


Reader’s Haven: Welcome Jan! Tell us a bit about yourself  that our readers might not know.

Jan:  First of all, thank you so much for having me as a guest on your blog! Let’s see…something about me that your readers might not know…Okay, I have a few things: I’m a word nerd (not just because I’m a writer). I pay attention and have to love the lyrics to a song before I ever fall in love with the music. When I watch TV commercials I’m drawn to what they say versus what they show. I hate sweet potatoes even if they’re disguised with brown sugar, marshmallows, and pecans. And my week is rubbish if I can’t slide in at least two or three episodes of NCIS. 

Reader’s Haven: What made you want to become a writer?

Jan: I’ve always escaped reality with a good book. One day, I decided to try my hand at writing one. Since I had a full-time job and two active kids, I stashed my stories away and promised to revisit them. When my youngest went off to college, I kept that promise. And the rest is history.

Reader’s Haven: Good for you in following your dream! Please share a bit about your new release Kiss Me without giving away any spoilers.

Jan:  Kiss Me is the first book I was contracted for, but the third to be published – Falling for the cop who wrote her a speeding ticket and dated her spoiled stepsister throws Lacy Goodlow’s world into chaos, but ignoring her heart to keep the peace is not an option.

 
Reader’s Haven: Do you write under a pen name?

Jan:  Sort of – my real name is Janice Romes, but I write as Jan Romes.

Reader’s Haven: What types of hero or heroine do you like best?

Jan:  I’m drawn to strong, but flexible heroes and confident, sassy heroines.(I love verbal jousting between my characters)

Reader’s Haven: Tell us about a typical day in your life as a writer.

Jan:  I start my day with a serious case of bed-head and a jolt of caffeine! Saying hello to the world via Twitter and Facebook follows (good thing they can’t see the bed-head). For the next few hours my WIP gets some attention. When I hit a snag with my thoughts, I make the world a less scary place by getting rid of the bed hair! Then back to my WIP!  In the background of my day, clothes will be washing or drying. Dog will be barking. And the smell of a roast in the oven fills the air. Back to Twitter and Facebook, then a return to the WIP. By most opinions my day would be boring, but to me it’s anything but dull. Stories zip through my head faster than I can write them!

Reader’s Haven: (Deanna) Seems like you do have a schedule though and you have disciplined yourself on the time to be spent marketing each day. Do your books have a common theme or are they all different?

Jan:  All of my books have a degree of humor laced through them. (even my WIP which is a romantic suspense has humor woven through it) Also, my characters have to be passionate about something else, besides each other. (they have to have a fondness for the environment or compassion for the homeless or hungry)

Reader’s Haven: How long does it take you to write and then edit a story?

Jan:  I’m not a fast writer, so a story takes me about 6 to 8 months from inception to final edits.


Reader’s Haven: Do you have to be alone to write?

Jan:  I prefer to be a lone when I write, but that isn’t always the case. Sometimes my husband lurks close by. (He loves to share his ideas about my stories/characters)

Reader’s Haven: How do you go about naming characters?

Jan: Sometimes a name will just pop in. Other times I scan the newspaper to find an incredible first name, and then I play around with a last name.

Reader’s Haven: Is it easier to write about the characters if you find pictures of them before you write or do you write then find character pictures?

Jan:  I find it easier to picture them as I construct my story.

Reader’s Haven: (Louise) Richard Gere is who I picture as the idea cop to pull me over! How do you pick locations for your stories?


Jan:  I’m not well-traveled (other than a yearly jaunt to the Caribbean), so my story locations have to be somewhere I’m familiar with so I can provide accurate details.

Deanna and Louise, thank you so much for the opportunity to be here today! 

Readers, I'll giveaway a pdf copy of Kiss Me to one lucky commenter! Please leave your email address so we can easily contact the winner. Thanks!

Reader's Haven: Jan thank you again for visiting with us all week. Good luck in the drawing everyone!

You may find Jan on the following sites: 
 

Twitter @JanRomes




Excerpt:

“Sir, seriously,” she whimpered. “I haven’t been drinking. And I need to get going.” She held her wrist up so he could see her watch. “My sister’s bachelorette party has already started, and if I don’t get there soon, she’s going to blow a gasket.”
Deputy J. Kelly’s eyes widened perceptibly.
Crap. He was picturing the same thing she was—drunken women and lots of alcohol.
Regardless, she was late. Lacy blew out a weighty breath of frustration, and contemplated making a move for his gun or handcuffing herself to his cruiser; anything so she wouldn’t have to face the wrath of Angela.
Deputy Kelly’s first command was for her to walk a straight line. Ha! Her sandal teetered on a stone and she swayed sideways. Next, touch the end of her nose. The earth must’ve shifted, because she missed and almost jabbed herself in the eye. And because of the diet cola she’d downed on the way there, she was fidgeting all over the place. “Are we done?”
Without answering the question, he leaned forward and took a big whiff.
An involuntary prickle of pleasure pulsed through her.
“I’m not going to administer the breathalyzer because your eyes aren’t glassy or red, your speech is not impaired, and I don’t smell alcohol on your breath.”
Duh. He’d been sniffing for alcohol, not enjoying her perfume.
She mumbled a feeble thank-you, but it was drowned out by a car filled with teenagers who buzzed past and hollered “Strip-search her.”





12 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read Jan's newest release, Kiss Me. Love her work, her characters, and her humor. Her books are always a fun and entertaining read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Sharon!! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon, thanks for stopping by. Kiss Me does sound like a good read. Most of us women do like looking at a man in a uniform. LOL
    Jan, thank you for visiting with us this week. Good luck with your book sales! ~Louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would really love to read Jan's new book Kiss Me. There is something about an author who writes about sassy women that forms a connective bond between us all. Jan is generous and supportive to fellow authors and a positive light in all of our lives. Bring it on:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jan,
    Welcome to AARH, wonderful interview, thank you for sharing.
    Your book sounds like one I can definitely get into.
    I will be adding your name to my 'new-to-me-authors' list.
    Wishing you the best!

    P.S. ~ please do not enter me in give-away, I'm a recent winner! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheree, thanks so much for stopping by and for the sweet comments! You're also very supportive & positive :-))

    Hugs,

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jan,

    I enjoyed learning more about you in this interview! This story and its hero will definitely be my kind of romance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dalila! Happy to meet you :-))
    Thank you for the nice comments about my book. It was fun to write and I'm happy to share it. Thank you for adding me to your 'new-to-me-authors- list!

    Hugs,

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jolyse, thanks for being so supportive and such a good friend!! Hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Sheree! You won a copy of Kiss Me. Jan will contact you with your choice of format.
    Thanks again everyone for stopping by and supporting Jan. ~Louise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheree, Jan provided the pdf of Kiss Me to send to the winner please email louisejames157@yahoo.com
    Please reply by Friday, April 20. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WooHoo!
    WTG Sheree!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete